The best resource for great local shopping!

There is amazing stuff close by – local artisans and independently owned retailers, cool things to do and eat, and great charities to support. It’s good for the economy, the environment and the soul. www.100milefinds.com

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Not far from the tree

Not far from the Tree is an organization that offers a residential fruit-picking program. Seriously!



They help residential fruit tree owners (who knew that could be a label?!)make use of the abundance of fruit that their trees offer by dispatching teams of volunteers to harvest it for them. 1/3 of the fruit goes to the owners,1/3 goes to the volunteers for their labour and the final third is distributed (by bike or cart, of course) to community organizations in the neighbourhood who can make good use of the fresh fruit.Once again, I have to say, how great is that?!

Susan stumbled across these guys, and I kinda gave her a hard time about it, sorry Susan, you were right, as usual! Sometimes I'm not as granola as I should be.  Anyways...

In 2008 they picked over 3,000 lbs of fruit in Toronto Ward 21, that is a heck of allot fruit people. As I read their blog I discovered that were looking for trees to tap. We have a tree, a maple tree. So I sent off an email to see if we qualified.
Great news, we have a Norway Maple, and it's tapable! Now we are just waiting for the people from 'Not far from the Tree' to give us our tapping tutorial and we are on our way. I feel like I should be wearing calico and serviceable footwear and a bonnet. Somebody call Laura Ingall's and let her know what's going on!

I will keep you all posted on every phase of this exciting adventure! I know you can't wait for the next installment
Enjoy the great weather and the PA day tomorrow,
Shirl

No comments:

Post a Comment