The best resource for great local shopping!

There is amazing stuff close by – local artisans and independently owned retailers, cool things to do and eat, and great charities to support. It’s good for the economy, the environment and the soul. www.100milefinds.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mama Earth Organics Box # 2

The Mama Earth Organics experience continues... Again a reminder email arrived in my in box on Friday with a list of what would be in my box on Monday, and an opportunity to make any changes and/or additions. I left my tote out Monday morning and my box of organic veggies arrived at some point during the afternoon! Since I've never done this before, I wasn't sure what to expect, especially this time of year. I mean how much local produce is available in March? I was worried that we were going to be inundated with the same stuff week after week, and in large quantities! There was no need to worry! Now I've got apples, a rutabaga, some kinda squash, parsnips, some more yummy looking greens, more mushrooms (just enough for 2 servings though, so we're enjoying them without getting sick of them). I almost forgot to mention the carrots, they didn't last very long. My ten year old LOVES carrots that still have the lettuce attached to them! :-) This time some red onions were in the mix too. I usually don't cook with onions as much as I have lately but they really add a fullness of flavour to soups and salads.
One of my favourite things about this experience is that I am discovering new recipes and working with new veggies. It is so easy to get stuck in a rut! This week I'm gonna make a rutabaga soup with apples and onions.
I would definitely recommend Mama Earth Organics if you are trying to buy more local produce and want to experiment with some "new" veggie options!
Bon Apetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment