The best resource for great local shopping!

There is amazing stuff close by – local artisans and independently owned retailers, cool things to do and eat, and great charities to support. It’s good for the economy, the environment and the soul. www.100milefinds.com

Saturday, November 7, 2009

100milefinds.com a new Toronto Shopping website

Here we go, our first blog!

I've read up on what I'm supposed to say. Agonized over what that will be and now I'm just gonna go for it.

First a little bit about ourselves. We are, Shirley Fairley and Susan Wild. Apparently photos are good, once we have some good ones maybe, just maybe we'll post some of ourselves, but don't hold your breath we're both a bit camera shy!
I'm Shirley! In my previous life I was a window dresser, not nearly as glamorous as it sounds, and back then I used to hand paint t-shirts and sell them at craft shows. I was also, and still am, a photographer. Back in the day I did strictly fine art stuff and sold framed prints and images on greeting cards at a few stores, but mostly at craft shows. Now I specialize in family portraits, I shoot a number of dance schools and private schools too. It is strictly a part-time job probably more accurately described as a freelance gig!
Hi, I'm Susan! I abandoned my career in printing and graphic arts some time ago, and re-educated myself in social work - there always seems to be a need for that regardless of the 100 mile radius. 100 Mile Finds is a unique opportunity for me to incorporate the business side of my brain in marketing and communications, with my interest in community development. I am amazed by the talented people we have met so far in this (ad)venture, and I look forward to meeting more of you.

It's Shirley again, the official blogger today, although Susan and I will alternate this responsibility in the future... We are 100 mile finds.
This is how it all started. I'm hearing that dreamy music that they have on TV when people are remembering something, listen for it, anything? Never mind.

It was Susan's idea to create a website that showcased local artisans, crafts people, cool stores, restaurants that offer local fare and funky things to do. I loved the idea and jumped on board before she could give it a second thought. It's been in the works for about a year and half now and we are finally, FINALLY, at the point where we are soliciting vendors.

We have been to craft show after craft show, big and small, and we will keep that up. We do drive bys all over the city finding cool stores, we scope out other websites from directories, to other shopping websites, to artisans’ individual sites, collectives - if you're out there we are trying to find you.
Of course our focus is local. We want vendors from the area. Goods being manufactured here is fantastic too. If you source your materials from nearby, even better.
As I've heard Susan say many a time though, everywhere is 100 miles from somewhere! We are starting in the Toronto area and plan to conquer the world 100 miles at a time. Also quoting Susan on that one.
So right now we want to find out about markets, artisans, stores and unique services in the Toronto area. If you are one of these things, or know someone who you think would be great let us know!

If you've got any questions about 100 mile finds, we want to hear from you!

Apparently we need to be coming up with 3 blogs a week! Yikes!

We'll be introducing you to all of our vendors, we're going to give you shopping routes for different neighbourhoods in T.O., and we'll be coming up with cool gift ideas. Anything else you want to hear about?

Let us know. You can leave comments on the blog, you can contact us a info@100milefinds.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment