The best resource for great local shopping!

There is amazing stuff close by – local artisans and independently owned retailers, cool things to do and eat, and great charities to support. It’s good for the economy, the environment and the soul. www.100milefinds.com

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Niagara on the lake -part 3 - dinner at Treadwell's

When you drive up to Treadwell's it's this cool little place just off the main road. I wouldn't say it's in a sketchy part of town but certainly not in the cool part of Port Dalhousie. It's quite a large restaurant and we sat on the terrace, right on the river! And I mean, right on the river, I almost dropped my purse in it!
Treadwell's has been around since 2006 and boasts farm to table cuisine. They don't use the term lightly either, they use the old school approach of basing their menu on what is available locally. It doesn't hurt that they are in a region that is bountiful with wineries, farms and orchards. Although their wine list does have some offerings from Australia, Argentina and New Zealand the main emphasis is on Niagara wines.

Being a huge supporter of local anything I was really impressed by just how "local" they were. The back of the menu lists where they source everything! Very cool! As far as I'm concerned this all counts for not, if the food isn't fantastic! It was!

I started my meal with the zucchini blossoms. Nothing like deep fried zucchini, that's what I always say! Yummy! For my main course I had the Steak Frites! It was fantastic! It was a dry aged striploin by Cumbrae Farms topped with a cafe de paris butter, mushrooms with the best pommes frites I've had in ages! I'm getting hungry just writing about it!

It was a great meal that capped off a great day! We headed back to the hotel to catch the fireworks over the falls!

If you get a weekend away from the kids, I highly recommend a trip to the Niagara region.

No comments:

Post a Comment