The best resource for great local shopping!

There is amazing stuff close by – local artisans and independently owned retailers, cool things to do and eat, and great charities to support. It’s good for the economy, the environment and the soul. www.100milefinds.com

Monday, April 23, 2012

Threads N Things

I am not a knitter. If you go back a generation or two, knitting was such a practical skill. I might be showing my age here, but I do remember hand knit socks and Winston Kinsey sported some interesting hand knit shorts that must have been itchy. But I digress, the point of this is how amazed I am by the 'new knitting'. It is not just fairisle sweaters anymore. The knitters who worked together to create the car cosy was one of my favourites.

And, there is a new knitter on 100 Mile Finds - Threads N Things. Margaret's knitted and crocheted scarves and shawls are her specialty. " I specialize in upcycled 100% sari silk yarn and ribbon fibres to make truly unique and one of a kind items. This fibre is purchase fair trade from women's cooperatives in India and Nepal who spin it to make a luxurious product while at the same time, supporting their families". There are several other unique products that you don't think of immediately when you think of knitting - check them out.

Who would not want to stay cosy and warm and feel good about who you are supporting at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment